One of the frequently asked question on the group is how to drone/sustain a note /Clip indefinitely?
Your answer Lies in the title itself.. SUSTAIN
For Anything to Sustain (Plug-in,Ext Synth, Loop, keygroup..) It is very Important that its amp envelope sustain is full (100% in most cases or a lower value which you want to drone at a falloff level, but it should never be close zero.
So the Trick Likes in Creating a Midi Clip for the Track that Does that : Sustain
as long as the clip plays its track sustains..
The Midi Clip
- Create a 1 Bar midi Clip and Add cc64 (Sustain Automation at start with a High value , so Sustain Turns on” as shown in above Image.
- Set Loop for this clip to Off. Doing so will make the Clip run once and turn sustain on the target Track/Synth to On. (you might want to create another clip to turn sustain off too).
- Add Note/Notes you want to Hold. (you can use empty clips too)
Track / Synth Settings
- For Plugins and External Synth the Amp Env Set Sustain to Max So that the Note Keeps playing When Held
- For Samples / Loops on Pad or Keygroups
- Make Sure sample Play is Set to “Note ON” and Sustain on Amp Env Set to 100% (most cases). **See Images Below
- Make Sure The Sample has a Loop and Pad Loop is On. ** See Image Below
- Additionally For Loops you might want to assign them to Same Mute group so only one loop plays at a time.